I grew up in a family of artists. Works in progress in all the arts–visual, musical, written and performance–were strewn about my childhood home. This inspired me to develop my creativity and experiment with mediums and styles.
When I received my first big 64-color box of Crayolas, I could sit for hours delighted to line up the crayons in endless color combinations. Now I work mostly in acrylic paints, watercolors, and pencil & ink; but the desire to combine beautiful, bright, saturated color is still a driving force in my art.
My work has appeared in many shows and galleries in the North Shore area, earning numerous awards and grants. I am a published children’s book author/illustrator and a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Another thing I love to do is design murals for walls. I have done murals ranging from an enormous 360 degree mural for a golf practice room to a single wall in a child’s bedroom, to a few simple motifs around a door. I’d love to help you customize your home!
I have three grown children, five growing grandchildren and live in Salem, MA, high atop Gallows Hill with my sweet husband, Tom.
- City of Melrose Wayfinding & Creative Placemaking Initiative, utility box mural, Main St. 2020.
- CuriousCity Pop-Up Children’s Museum, designed 3 exhibits & painted murals for them, Curious World, Epi-Curious, and Main Street, Peabody. 2019
- Topsfield Fair, 200th Anniversary, Topsfield, MA, painting demonstration, 2018
- Outside the Box, electric box mural, Mrs. Felton’s Tea Party, Main St., Peabody, MA, 2018
- Artists’ Row, Salem, MA. Traffic barrier murals, Happy Halloween, Oct. 2018
- Salem Maritime Festival, Figurehead painting demonstrator, 2018, 2017, 2016
- Old Ironsides Re-Floating Celebration, figurehead painter, Charlestown Naval Shipyard, 2017
- Sail Boston 2017 Festival, artisan demonstrator, Charlestown Naval Shipyard, 2017
- Punto Urban Art Museum, 8’x8′ public mural, Heart Song, Peabody St., Salem, MA 2017
- Outside the Box, electric box mural, Brooksby Farm, Main St., Peabody, MA, 2017
- Artists’ Row, Salem, MA. Interactive photo mural, Scarecrow, autumn 2017
- Lady of Salem figureheads: Salem Beautification Committee 2017; Three ladies for The Village Tavern, 2016; Cabot Money Management, Salem, MA., 2013
- Mural, Boys’ & Girls’ Club of Greater Salem, Champion for Kids Celebration, 2015
- Murals on the five doors of the Danvers Art Association, 105 Elliott St., Danvers, MA 01915, 2014
- ArtBox 2014, Electric Slide, at Riley Plaza, Salem, MA 01970
- Mural, Salem State Univ., O’Keefe Ctr., Salem, MA, Jacobson Golf Team practice room, 2007.
- COVID: Mi Libro/ My Book, for North Shore CDC & Punto Urban Art Museum, 2020.
- Illustrator, In the Middle, children’s book by Virginia Frazier, 2017
- Cover Illustration, Twin Cities Senior Housing Guide & Resources, 2016-2017
- Illustrations included in The Artists’ Palate, Marblehead Arts Assoc., 2017
- Work-A-Day Week Coloring Book, Sheila Farren Billings and Robin Haag Farren, Scarecrow Education, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Lanham, MD, 2004.
- Work-A-Day Week Activity Sheets, Sheila Farren Billings and Robin Haag Farren, Scarecrow Education, an imprint of Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Lanham, MD 2004.
- Salem: Which City? Activity Book, Sheila Farren Billings, self-published, 2001.
- Co-Author, Evolution and Plate Tectonics, lesson plan in Oceanography and Coastal Processes Resource Guide, Operation Pathfinder, 1998
- Salem: Which City? An Interdisciplinary Approach to Teaching about Salem MA, 1991
- Salem: Which City? Coloring Book, Sheila Farren Billings, 1988.
Art Awards & Honors:
- Best of Show, Danvers Art Association Spring Show (virtual), June 2020.
- People’s Choice Award, Marblehead Festival of Arts, Paint the Town plein air exhibit, 2019.
- The Peabody Institute Library of Danvers acquired my painting for their permanent collection, Danvers Art Assoc. Building, 2017
- First Place, Crafts, Danvers Art Association Spring Show, 2016
- People’s Choice Award, plein air event, Marblehead Festival of Arts 2014
- Second Place, mixed media, Danvers Art Assoc. Spring Show 2014
- Chosen as an artist in the book, Legendary Locals of Salem, by Jerome M. Curley, Dorothy V. Malcolm, and Nelson L. Dionne. Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, SC, 2013
- Second Place, mixed media, Guild of Beverly Artists, Fall Show 2012
- People’s Choice Award, mixed media, Marblehead Festival of Arts 2012
- People’s Choice Award, plein air event, Marblehead Festival of Arts 2012
- Second Place, crafts, Danvers Art Assoc. Spring Show, 2012
- Second Place, mixed media, Danvers Art Assoc. Spring Show, 2012
- Second Place, pastels, Guild of Beverly Artists, Fall Show 2011
- Semi-Finalist, Marblehead Festival of Arts 2011, Logo Contest
- Best of Show, mixed media, Marblehead Festival of Arts 2010
- First Place, Beverly Farms/Prides Crossing 2010 4th of July Logo Contest
- First Place, Friends of the Swampscott Public Library 2010 Logo Contest
- First Place, mixed media, Danvers Art Association 2006 Fall Show
- Second Place, painting, Danvers Art Association 2006 Fall Show
- First Place, pastels, Danvers Art Association 2002 Spring Show
- Second Place, crafts, Danvers Art Association 2002 Spring Show
- Second Place, drawing, Danvers Art Association 2001 Spring Show
- Arthur Smith Award for Creativity 1990 Salem State University
- Grand Prize, Norman Rockwell judge, Malden All-America City Poster Contest
- Box Cover Illustration, Harbor Sweets Chocolate Advent Calendar, 2018
- Official Event Poster, Salem Holiday Market, 2018
- Artists’ Row, Salem, MA. Shared a shop with Diane Hoffman, 2015 season
- First Prize, Beverly Farms/Prides 4th of July Logo Contest, 2010
- First and Second Prizes, Friends of the Swampscott Public Library Logo Contest, 2010
- Costumer, Bishop Fenwick High School, Peabody, MA. 1988-1991
- Visual Marketing, Window and In-Store, Assistant to Manager Display Department, Jordan Marsh Co., Malden, MA, 1971-1972.
- Cartoonist, The Log, Salem State College newspaper. Weekly cartoon strip, editorial cartoons and illustrations, 1970-1972
Solo Art Shows, Etc.:
- North Shore Bank, Main St., Peabody Sq., Peabody MA. Nov. 2018 through Jan. 2019
- The House of the Seven Gables, Salem MA, featured artist, 2014 to present
- Beebe Gallery, Melrose MA., June 2018
- The Boys’ & Girls’ Club of Greater Salem, resident artist, 2016-2018
- Salem Access Television, March & April, 2016
- Cutter Gallery, Arlington MA, Nov. 2015 through Jan. 2016
- 49 Years of Winning Artists, Marblehead Festival of Arts, group show, June 2016
- Marblehead Arts Association, August 2015
- Mass. General Hospital Illuminations Program, Oct. 2014 through Jan. 2015
- U.U. Church, Danvers MA, June & July 2014
- Gallery at Grosvenor Park, Salem MA, 2-artist show, Feb. 2014
- Hamilton-Wenham Library, Jan. & Feb. 2013
- U. U. Church, Marblehead, solo, Nov. 2012
- Salem Access Television, solo, April 2012
- Peabody Institute Library, Danvers, solo, Jan. 2012
- Danvers Art Assoc., Featured Artist, autumn 2011
- Peabody Essex Museum/ Salem Arts Assoc. Regional Group Shows, curated + juried by PEM curators, 2006 to present.
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- Marblehead Arts Association
- Salem Arts Association
- Danvers Art Association
- North Shore Art Teachers Association
- REACH Arts, Swampscott
- Swampscott Art Association